I have nothing crafty (that I made anyway) to show you all since I'm taking a break from scrapbooking this week after completing that heritage album. B. finished up swimming lessons last week and not only passed Level III, but Level IV as well! I am so very proud of her. It was definitely worth it to have her take six weeks of swimming lessons this summer. Next year she'll do Level V and then she'll be done.
We spent the day with my cousins from Germany up at my Mom's today and had a nice visit. We got to see them over the weekend too. They will be leaving to go back to their home in Berlin, Germany on Monday. I will miss them and wish I could see them more often than every few years or so. I asked my Mom if I could copy some of the pics that she has of my grandparents from Germany. I was expecting maybe a few pictures. Turns out she has TONS of heritage photos of my German ancestors. There are pics of my grandparents taken during their younger years, and of my great-grandparents from both sides of her family that I've never seen along with pics from my Mom's childhood, etc. I am sooo happy and excited that she is letting me borrow them to scan and make copies from. I can feel another heritage album coming on. lol! It will take me years to scrapbook them all though, but you can bet that eventually I'll do just that. I look so forward to getting in touch with my German heritage. I will be making CDs of the scanned pictures to give my Mom and for my cousins in Germany also. They were so happy to see all the pics too and I know they would love to have copies of their own as well. Here is just a sampling of the photos I have of my German ancestors. I feel so blessed to have them and to be able to give them to my own daughter someday...
My Mom also gave me an embroidered tablecloth and cross stitched table runner that were made many many years ago by her paternal grandmother, Meta (my great-grandmother). She was a farm/country girl and sewed her own clothes, embroidered, crocheted, cooked, etc. My Mom was very close to her grandmother ("Oma") and would always say that Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies reminded her of her grandmother. I would have loved to have met her. Perhaps it's because of my German great-grandmother that I got bit by the cross stitching bug many years ago out of nowhere. I was an avid cross stitcher for many years before I got into scrapbooking and would stitch every evening. Maybe needlework's in my blood. I feel so fortunate to have a couple pieces that my great-grandmother embroidered herself and crocheted the edges on. She made perfect little French Knots too. Something I've never been able to master myself. I will treasure these always....
I'm not sure where I'm going to display her table runner. I may keep it on the sewing machine from my husband's grandmother in our living room until I find another place for it....
Hmmmm... I feel the urge to blow the dust off of my Q-Snaps, needles and embroidery scissors and work on my cross stitching. It's been a really long time...






0 comments:
Post a Comment