For many
years, my husband, daughter and I have gathered around this table at my
in-laws' house for many Sunday and holiday dinners ever since B. was an infant
and her cousins were babies themselves. There for awhile, especially during
football season, we would spend every Sunday afternoon at my husband's parents'
house with his parents, brother, sister and their families. My mother-in-law is
getting up there in years and will be 77 later on this month and so we don't
have Sunday dinner together as often as we did years ago, but we still do every
once in awhile. Which is nice. I am very thankful that family is so
important to my mother-in-law. And although we've had our struggles over the
years, we've gotten through them and I've grown to actually love spending time
with my in-laws. I think growing older and seeing our children and parents grow
older makes you really appreciate the time you have to spend with your loved
ones.
Anyway,
my mother-in-law invited us all over for dinner yesterday for homemade
gnocchis, meatballs, spaghetti, salad, and bread. Afterwards, she pulled out a
couple of shoe boxes with old family pictures from when my husband was growing
up and old heritage photos of his grandparents and great-grandparents from his
dad's side of the family. My mother-in-law tends to talk a lot about the past
lately. She's been like that for awhile now. Anyway,
yesterday, out of the blue, she brought out the boxes of pictures and just
started going through them and rattling on about who was in them one right
after the other. I had to make her slow down so I could actually write the info
on the backs of the pictures. She let me take a big ziploc bag of them home to
copy and I am going to start with that.
It is overwhelming the amount of photos
she has. A lot of which was given to her by someone in the family when they did
a clean-out of someone's house years ago. Some of the pictures she didn't know
much about (from my father-in-law's side) and that's sad. But a lot she did
know who was in them, so that's good at least. She invited us up for dinner at
1:30 yesterday and we ate probably around 2:00, and so we had already been
there awhile and my husband wanted to leave so he could start plowing snow with
the tractor. I told him to just leave me there and come back to get me later
when he was done plowing everyone's driveways. There was no way I was passing
up an opportunity to get my hands on more heritage photos and to get the information
about who, what, where, etc. was going on in the photos. So I was up there
until sometime in the evening. It was definitely worth it. And I didn't even
make it all the way through all the pictures she has.
Now I have to get
all of these pictures scanned and send copies to my husband's sister and brother. This
is only the first big batch though. My sister-in-law somehow ended up with some
genealogy stuff from their dad's side of the family and keeps saying she's going
to copy it all for her brothers. It goes clear back to Ireland. So I can't wait to see what she has. We already have my mother-in-law's father's side traced back
to when they immigrated through Ellis Island from Italy. That was the heritage
album I did for her a few years ago that I shared on here during that whole
process.
While going through all those old photos, I noticed that the really old black and white photos held up better than when they started doing color pictures. Those ones are faded. Whatever ink they used for color in the beginning must not have been very good for the long term. Plus who knows what conditions these old pictures were stored in over the years. Another good reason to get these pictures copied before they completely fade away someday.
I recently got my husband to set up the computer so I can
start scanning all the heritage pictures from my mom of my German ancestors
that I posted about awhile back. My plan is to get all of these old pictures
from my mom and my husband's mom scanned into the computer and upload them to
Walgreens and get a few printed out to make sure they turn out okay. When
I scanned all those old pictures for my mother-in-law a few years ago, I used
the scanners at WalMart, and they would always print out really nice. Then I
would always get a CD of the pics made while I was there. I'm trying to avoid
WalMart when it comes to doing this more current project since they are very
nit-picky. I hope scanning from home and uploading to have printed out later
works out. So these are a couple of the big projects I'll be working on this year
and then eventually I hope to get them into scrapbooks.
Well that
is all for now. I took B. to pick out new eyeglasses after school today. The
big snowstorm that we were anticipating ended up being more south of us and the
kids ended up only having a two-hour delay this morning. Ah well. Only
seventeen more days until the first day of Spring....



0 comments:
Post a Comment