Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mexican Beef and Macaroni Casserole

Today was the Book Fair at B's school. She has always loved books since she was a baby. I started reading to her when she was an infant every night before bed. Now that she's older, she absolutely loves to read books and buying her a book now and then is a real treat for her that she truly appreciates. She's into chapter books these days, and so I let her pick out a few at the book fair (well one is actually a knock-knock jokes book since B. loves telling me knock-knock jokes. lol!), plus we got a book to donate to her classroom like we do every year. And although I've never bought a book at the book fair for myself before, I couldn't resist bringing home this one...



I know, I know, like I really need another cookbook. However, there are some really yummy-looking recipes in there that I can't wait to try and it helps the school out by purchasing it at the book fair. So I decided to go ahead and get it and even put it to good use tonight for supper by trying out one of the recipes that I just so happened to have all the ingredients for already here at home. Plus it looked like a good meal for a cold, rainy day like today. It has been raining non-stop all. day. long.  I did change up a few things and it turned out really good and everyone loved it, so it's a another keeper for sure. I think I'll make some corn bread to go with it the next time I make it though...

MEXICAN BEEF & MACARONI CASSEROLE

2 c. dried elbow macaroni
1-1/4 lbs. lean ground beef
2-1/2 c. picante sauce or salsa (we prefer mild salsa for this)
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. cumin (I only use 1/2 tsp.)
1 tsp. chili powder (again, I use just 1/2 tsp.)
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
16 oz. sour cream
2-1/4 oz. sliced black olives, drained (optional)
Mexican-blend shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large Dutch oven (4 qt.), cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to hot Dutch oven.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef until browned, drain off fat. Stir meat into cooked macaroni. Stir in picante sauce (or salsa), beans, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Spoon into a greased 9" x 13" baking dish (3 qt.). Cover with foil. Bake about 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Spread sour cream over top. Sprinkle with sliced black olives and cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.

ETA: 8-7-11 After making this dish a few more times, I've tweaked it a bit - cutting the chili powder and cumin in half and using mild salsa from Aldi's. I tried the picante sauce from Sam's with the full amount (1 tsp. each) of chili powder and cumin and it was way too spicy. I also skip the part of spreading the sour cream, black olives and cheese over top and putting it back in the oven. Instead, we put the cheese on top as soon as it comes out of the oven, put the sour cream on the side and skip the olives. We like black olives, but don't feel they are really necessary.


Hope you enjoy and that you all are having a good evening. We may get more snow late tomorrow evening into Friday - up to 6" of the heavy, wet kind of snow. I don't think winter is ever gonna be over. lol!

Thanks for stoppin' by,

0 comments: