A hodge podge of some of my crafting and cooking endeavors along with tidbits of everyday life.....
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Happy Flag Day
The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous this past week. I got up early this morning, went down to the garage, and got the flag out to hang outside on the house. B. just finished up her first week of swimming lessons this summer. She's in Level V now so there's only one other girl in her level. Which is nice since she gets some great one-on-one instruction from 1-3 lifeguards. To pass Level V, she'll have to be able to do the butterfly stroke clear across the whole width of pool in the swimming lanes and also the breast stroke. B. is doing pretty good with the breast stroke, but the butterfly stroke is really hard, especially when they're that young (according to the lifeguard). She is doing really well though overall. She'll also have to do a somersault under water in the deep end - but they haven't practiced that yet. We'll see. I may sign her up for a couple more weeks. We are considering the swim team for next year. But that's up to B. It was too late to get her signed up this year by the time I asked about it since I didn't know how they did things or when. At least I know for next year and B. can work on the swimming strokes she'll need to do if she does decide to join the swim team. If anything, the swim lessons gives us something to look forward to and to keep her busy for awhile during the summer.
I haven't been doing anything crafty since the last time I posted, but I've done plenty of scrappy shopping if that counts?? lol! My dear husband just sold his old Kubota tractor this past week and shared some of the wealth with me. He put it up for sale out in the front yard and I kid you not, the phone would not stop ringing within just a few MINUTES after it went up for sale. We live on a pretty busy road. Some guy came out to look at it within hours and it was sold that quick. Unbelievable. We certainly didn't expect it to sell that quick. People were still calling days after it already sold or stopping by our house to ask if we still had it for sale or sending text messages that if the pending offer didn't work out to call them. lol! It sold for just a few hundred dollars less than what my husband paid for it about eight years ago. Not bad at all.
Anyway moving on.... this past winter, I promised that I would post a recipe that I had tried and really liked, but then I forgot until I made it again last night for supper. I got this recipe from a cookbook that I picked up at the thrift store back in February and my family and I really like it a lot. Since I don't have to turn the oven on, and only use the stovetop and my rice cooker, it's a great recipe to make during the summer especially....
SWEET 'N SOUR MEATBALLS
1 egg
1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs (more if needed)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
dash pepper
1 lb. ground beef
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. packed brown suger
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
About 4 carrots - peeled and sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, julienned
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cold water
Hot cooked rice
In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Mix well with your hands and form into little 1" balls. In a large deep skillet, cook in olive oil until browned and cooked through and no longer pink. Drain.
Drain pineapple into a liquid measuring cup. Add water to pineapple juice to equal 1 cup (if needed - I got exactly 1 c. juice from the can, so didn't need to add the water). Stir in apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Pour over meatballs. Add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until carrots are crisp-tender. Stir in green peppers and pineapple; cover and simmer a little while longer until peppers are crisp-tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Serve over rice. Yum!
We enjoyed ours last night out on the deck. I hope you give it a try and end up liking it as much as we do.
Well we're headed out to Sam's and out to eat this evening. My hubby texted me earlier and told me we're going to the Outback tonight. So, yea, I don't have to cook! lol!
I hope you all have a great evening and weekend ahead....
Labels:
Recipes - Main Dishes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment