Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Stuffed Peppers


Well the weather has cooled down some the last couple of days. It's only been in the lower 70's and it was actually chilly last night. I love days where I can turn the AC off and open all the windows and let the fresh breezy air in. B. is on her third week of swimming lessons this summer and she's improving everyday on certain things like her flips underwater and on her diving.




It's time to share another one of my tried-and-true favorite recipes with you all that I just made last night for supper. I got this recipe quite a few years ago from an online friend who lives in Pennsylvania. She got the recipe from a Free Taste of Home Collector's Edition 2000 magazine. The recipe was in their "Clip and Keep Recipe Section" … a selection from their Ground Beef Roundup contest – this one was a Runner-Up and she modified it..... And I modified it even further. It's funny how recipes tend to take on a life of their own as they are passed on from one person to another over the years.  I started using this recipe many summers ago and my family loves it. It does take a bit of effort and time to make, but it is so worth it. I love the fact that it's made on top of the stove instead of in the oven since it doesn't heat up my kitchen during these hot summer months......


**Stuffed Peppers**




6 decent-sized peppers
1 - 3 Tbsp. butter (as needed)
1-1/2 c. chopped onion, divided (I use a large and small one)
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) Italian Recipe diced tomatoes
2 tsp. minced garlic from jar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 c. cooked rice (long grain rice - Minute Rice)
1/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 heaping tsp. black pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. raw bulk Sweet Italian sausage
1 small can (5.5 fl oz.) V8 juice (B. loves when I make this 'cause she absolutely loves V8 and I only need one can from the pack. lol!)

Wash peppers, cut tops off, removing stems and seeds. Set peppers upright in a big, deep skillet (I use a 5.5 quart deep skillet) or a cooking pot. Dice up some of the pepper tops and set aside (about 4 of them or so).


While the rice is cooking in one pot, saute 1 cup chopped onion in butter in medium-sized saucepan. Add diced peppers and saute a few minutes more; add tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. salt. Simmer for about 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally....



Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine cooked rice, ketchup, Worcestershire, pepper, remaining 1/2 c. chopped onion & remaining 1 tsp. salt. Add ground beef & sausage. Mix well with hands.


Stuff peppers, using all of the meat mixture. Top with sauce. Pour a can of V8 juice over top. Cover and cook on top of stove over medium-low heat for at least an hour to 1-1/2 hrs or until meat is no longer pink. Make sure the heat is low enough so that it won't burn if you're going to cook it longer.  Don't lift the lid during cooking, since it's the steam and slow, low-heat cooking that's the secret.

Serve with mashed potatoes.



ENJOY!

* I save the rest of the tops of the peppers to put in scrambled eggs, salads, etc.

** You can prevent scorching the sauce, etc. by putting some cabbage leaves in the bottom of the pan before adding the peppers, etc. I've never personally done this, but it's supposed to help.



0 comments: